Sunday, October 29, 2006

Solitary Walking

Last week gave us some varied weather.

On Saturday I took advantage of a break in the rain to take Suki for a walk half way up Applethwaite Fell and along to the road. The views of Windermere were spectacular as the sun pierced the clouds and a rainbow framed the fells. (Note to self - take the camera next time!). What I really enjoyed though was the unusual experience of walking on my own, at my own pace with my own thoughts. It's a very different experience from walking with a group or with family. It's interesting that Wordsworth was wandering "lonely as a cloud" in "Daffodils". Your thoughts can just bear off wherever you want to let them and you notice all sorts of things that you don't have time to see whilst you are talking or making sure that children are keeping out of mischief.

How many different colours of rowan berry there are - some as deep red as blood and some as pale as your skin. How late the blackberries are still in fruit this year. How many rills there are falling down the fells. How quiet it is, even during half term and so close to Windermere.

I was enjoying it so much that I turned left on the road and walked up to the top path and returned along past Dubbs Reservoir where half a dozen swans were gliding silently along on the glassy water. Suki, being a water lover, had the time of her life chasing through the deep puddles that seemed to cover most of the top level path and which I had to negotiate with a little more care for fear of getting my feet soaked.

Coming down the path to Limefitt I had a beautiful view of Troutbeck in low cloud. The landscape seems to display a different facet in every different type of weather or light, and unlike some places it doesn't seem to becomes depressing in bad weather. I remember being in Greece and really hating the rain, whereas here is just seems to be a natural and beautiful part of what happens.

No comments: