Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Bewildered Bride

So last week I was up at the lodge doing some work that needed a bit of seclusion.

I woke up early and took the dog for a walk up around Dubbs reservoir on a clean crisp late spring morning. It was so quiet when I stopped walking and stood fro a moment – all I could hear was the noise of the birds and the sheep. The sheep are SO LOUD. I never thought I’d write that but everything is relative and the sheep were by far the noisiest things around.

Halfway along the path I came across a wagon full of nettles – so odd that it needed a photograph!



And all along the walk there were the hawthorns, decked with may blossom. One blown over by the wind lay like a bewildered bride against a backdrop of the new green.

And all around the goldfinches swooped, the lambs leaped and the calves watched me walk past, so seriously, as though they knew the reason why.

Spring in the Lake District fills you with such constant wonder. You’d have to have no soul not to be affected by it!

No comments: