Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dancing in the moonlight

Taking the dog for a late night walk at the weekend I heard some noise by one of the lodges. I looked up and saw 4 young badgers trying to get the nuts out of a low feeder.

I have always known that there are badgers on the site. The campers often make the mistake of leaving sausages and bacon outside their tents to keep cool, which the local badgers came to accept as kind of natural larder.

I have frequently seen the signs of their presence, normally grass uprooted in their hunt for worms - the mess they made of the recently laid turf was a sight to see!

This, though, was the first time I have ever seen them myself. They were totally unfazed us, and played on for a couple of minutes before they finally noticed us and decided to move on.

There is a big debate about a mass cull of badgers. Whilst I sympathise with farmers dealing with bovine TB I'm with the RSPCA on this one. (Ignorant townie that I am)

"Badgers are not the main source of TB in cattle," said Colin Booty, senior scientific officer of the RSPCA, which is resolutely opposed to culling.

"The trial results show that killing large numbers of badgers - most of which are disease-free - may even make the disease situation in cattle worse. Such a policy would clearly not be sustainable."

No comments: