Sunday, June 22, 2008

Of storms, stars and woodpeckers

This weekend has seen some very unseasonal weather . As I am typing this we have 65 MPH winds battering our lodge and the persistent and heavy rain has turned the beck from Friday's tinkling brook into a raging topic which is four feet deep.

In spite of that it's been a lovely weekend for us - on Friday we had Visit Britain around to do our first ever quality assessment. We were really pleased to be (as far as we know) only the second lodge at Limefitt to be awarded 4 stars!

The weather on Friday was lovely so we had dinner out on the deck and a celebratory bottle of fizzy.

Te weather started to turn on Saturday, and today it has become decidedly unfriendly. The noise woke me up early and sitting in the lounge at 6 in the morning watching the bird feeders I saw two woodpeckers at the same time. I have never seen this before, and it was only when I saw them retreat a few feet into the pine tree and watched one feeding the other that I realised that it must have been a mother and a juvenile being taught what to do. I couldn't get a picture of them together but here is the mother on the feeder



As I'm typing this now we've just seen the young woodpecker on the decking picking up stray bits of seed. I've never seen a woodpecker do that before.

On the window feeder we also had almost constant visits from a young nuthatch


As well as these birds (which I have to say are my favourites because we don't see them so often) we have also seen green finches, chaffinches, gold finches, bull finches, blue tits, great tits, robins, rooks, magpies and of course squirrels.

One of our feeders has totally disappeared, due, I think, to a double act from the rooks who were swinging on the feeders and making them fall off the hook, and two squirrels who had been hanging round and pinching nuts all day, and probably made off with the feeder when the rooks had done their bit.

No comments: